Before you start
- Please remember all loose items, dishware, china, small kitchen appliances, lamps and other breakable items must be packed into boxes prior to the move.
- Start packing at least 6-10 days before your move day. The larger your home/office, the more time you will need to pack everything. Do not leave packing till the night before the move day.
- Buy enough packing supplies. Obtain new boxes, that are made for moving. Avoid using used boxes, supermarket, bankers or post office boxes. You will need also need packing paper, bubble wrap, permanent marker and packing tape. Avoid using newspaper. Do not use boxes smaller than 3 cubic feet. Do not use boxes without closing tops.
- Do not pack the anything from list of “Items that movers can’t move by the law” and
General Packing Rules
- Properly tape bottoms of each box. Run one, but better two strips of tape over the opening in the center. Run 2 more strips crossing the center make it in “H” pattern, for an additional security run additional strip over the middle and tape around the bottom for extra support and security.
- Fill boxes properly and safely. Create sufficient cushion on the bottom of each box with crumbled paper, wrap each fragile item with packing paper individually, create cushion between items, along the sides of the box, and fill in any empty space with packing paper. This will prevent items from shifting and rubbing inside the box. Make sure the box is full to the brim. We recommend topping last couple of inches with crumbled paper until the paper is about to fall over the edges to create extra cushion. When closing the box, flaps must be leveled with the brim, make sure flaps don’t cave in and don’t overflow. Tape the box in “H” like you taped the bottom.
- Label each box, write what room the box belongs and a quick description of contents on top and side of each box. Mark box “fragile” on top and side, if there are breakables inside. If box is going to other location, put it aside and label “other location”.
- Use smaller boxes for heavier items and bigger boxes for lighter items. Please do not pack books into large box.
- Pack room by room. Avoid mixing items from different rooms into the same box. As you pack stack boxes in the corner, with heavier boxes at the bottom and lighter on top.
Kitchen, Glasses, and Dishware
- For dishes and glasses, use specialized dish pack boxes if available. If not available, use small (1.5 cubic feet) and medium (3.0 cubic feet) cartons.
- Cushion bottom of the box with thick layer of rolled crumbled packing paper.
- Wrap each piece individually. Glasses, dishes must be placed into the box vertically and aligned in a row.
- Don’t hesitate to use extra paper to wrap and separate items.
- Cushion the top and sides with paper to prevent shifting. The steadier the contents, the less the chance of damages is.
- Pack canned food in small carton vertically (1.5 cubic feet with no more than 25 cans per box.) if you have any jars, wrap them with packing paper and put inside of the box. Do not take already opened jars from the fridge, it may leak and cause the damage.
- Pack small kitchen appliances such as microware, toaster, coffee machine and others into original manufacture box if available. If not available pack into moving box of similar size, wrapping it with packing paper and or bubble wrap.
- Silverware. Use one sheet of paper to wrap multiple pieces of silverware separating it with paper. Use multiple sheets of paper (5-8 pcs) to pack kitchen knives, separating each knife. Label the rolled package “knifes” so you would not cut yourself when unpacking.
- Pots and pans. Use multiple sheets of paper to wrap and separate pots and pans. You can also use kitchen towels or linens. Choose a few pots or pans that can be nested inside each other.
- Pack clothes on hangers in wardrobe boxes. On local moves, we will provide 5 to 8 wardrobe boxes for use at the day of the move and will take them back when move is done.
- Wrap your shoes with packing paper and place in medium size boxes. If you keep shoes in original box, place multiple shoe boxes into a large or medium moving box. It will give double protection to your most valuable pairs of shoes.
- Pack non-hanging clothes in suitcases or medium size boxes. We recommend to empty dressers. When dressers are carried and transported with an extra weight inside, it will weaken its structure.
- Set aside essentials for day of your move.
- Store medicine and first aid supplies in a small plastic bin and keep nearby. Please mark “Do not take/move”, so movers would not load it accidentally. Move it by yourself.
- Pack bath towels, washcloths, and other linens into medium size boxes.
- Pack toiletries in small boxes. To prevent leaking, make sure to seal each bottle with tape and put it in small sealable plastic bags.
Pack all electronics including TVs into original manufacture cartons, if not available use appropriate moving box sizes. Wrap each piece of electronic equipment with bubble wrap.
Pack Flat TVs into original manufacture carton. If not available leave it to our movers, they will take care of it. Take laptops with you.
Pictures, Family Photos
- Small framed pictures. Wrap each individually with 2-3 sheets of packing paper and put in inside the box vertically. Use the same guide as for packing kitchen plates.
- Large pictures. Use appropriate size mirror/ picture carton. For extra-large, combine 2 picture cartons to build a bigger picture box. Stuff the bottom and sides with paper to create sufficient cushion. You can wrap the picture with paper blankets for extra protection. You can try to fit 2 pictures into 1 box, but be careful, because of pressure you may damage pictures.
Lamps / Vases
- Disconnect the lampshade and harp. Pack them separately into medium size boxes or appropriate size carton. You can pack multiple lampshades into the same box. Make sure to use packing paper to separate lampshades and create cushion to prevent rubbing. If necessary, use bubble wrap. Mark box “top load” for movers.
- Bulbs. We recommend discarding the bulbs, especially if you are moving long distance. If you want to keep bulbs, please wrap individually with packing paper.
- Lamp Base. Wrap the base of table or nightstand lamp with bubble wrap and place vertically inside the box. You can put a few lamps in the same box. Lamp bases can also be packed with small vases into the same box.
- Small to Medium Vases. Wrap each vase with multiple layers of bubble wrap.